The County Archives was established in 2016 and operates as an official function of Lewis County Public Library and Archives. The archives receive, process, and preserve the non-current, permanent records created by Lewis County Government since 1848. In addition, the archive houses other records of enduring historic value that document and reflect the history of Hohenwald and Lewis County.
Lewis County Public Library and Archives provides public access to archive holdings, with the exception of records restricted by Tennessee laws.
If the Archives does not hold the record you need in either microfilm or physical form, library and archives staff will direct you to the agency that does.
Use of Archive Materials
Researchers should be aware that accessing archive materials is a different process than accessing other library materials. Guidelines have been established both to help preserve materials and protect them from theft, thus ensuring they will remain available for future researchers. Our staff will assist patrons with proper use of archive resources. Guidelines include the following:
- All materials in the County Archive are non-circulating and cannot be checked out.
- Researchers may only view records in the designated viewing area.
- To access materials, patrons will be asked to register for access and fill out a Research Slip.
- Only one request for one record will be handled at a time.
- A staff member will remain with researcher while item is being viewed.
- No archival material will be pulled within 15 minutes of closing.
- Food and Drink are not allowed in the designated viewing area.
First-time users should consult with library and archives staff for more information on policies and guidelines for handling our collections.
A fee will be charged for photocopies. Please note that not all materials may be available for reproduction. Staff will determine if physical condition of materials allows for photocopying. All photocopies are subject to U. S. Copyright Law (Title 17, United States Code).
Please credit the Lewis County Public Library and Archives if you use any reproductions of materials for public use (including social media).
Lewis County Virtual Archive
Items within this online collection are digitized items from manuscript and photograph collections at the Lewis County Public Library and Archives. Please note that only a small subset of the library and archives’ collections have been digitized.
To visit the Lewis County Virtual Archive, please visit: https://archive.org/details/@lewislibrary.